Saanich Peninsula Literacy
The Saanich Peninsula Literacy Task Group is comprised of community representatives committed to strengthening life-long literacy.
Communities along the Saanich Peninsula will be engaged in building literacy skills and abilities essential for living a good life and supporting oneself, family and community.
What we do
We promote literacy and lifelong learning on the Saanich Peninsula by building awareness and by supporting community actions related to literacy.
Increased Literacy Awareness
Enhancing community knowledge of the value that literacy and life-long learning plays in individual and community life. We raise awareness about the importance of literacy in the following ways:
- Through our integrated South Island Website and social media pages
- 2017 Shaw TV South Island Literacy Series
- Literacy related articles in the Peninsula News, Island Parent and Seaside Times
- Family Literacy Week collaboration with Sidney / North Saanich Library
- Sharing literacy related resources, best practices, experience, capabilities and ideas throughout the community.
- Offering the signature Open Air Library program every summer in Sidney, BC
Strengthening and supporting literacy development for people and places along the Saanich Peninsula through strategic partnerships and collaborative efforts. We build community capacity through collaboration and partnerships in the following ways:
- Partnering and collaborating with community organizations to develop, promote, link and support services that help people of all ages and abilities gain important literacy skills and fully engage in life-long learning.
- Linking Tsawout, Tsarlip & Pauquachin First Nations communities to the Greater Victoria Public Library & Peninsula Early Years Centre
- Linking local libraries with SD#63 Teacher Librarians
- Supporting the One to One Literacy program in SD#63 Schools
- Supporting the Peninsula 1000 x 5 Children’s Book Recycling Project
- Funding the Sidney / North Saanich Girl Guides book ‘Saffron the Slug’
- Supporting the ‘Authors in Schools’ program offered by the Sidney Literary Festival
- Partnering with Science World to provide science literacy workshops for school aged children.
- Implementing an all ages literacy scan of providers in the community.
- Supporting adult literacy needs through community partnerships and linkages.
Growing our Membership
Engaging all sectors of community to participate in the conversation of literacy and life-long learning.
- Engage in strategic thinking and discussion about literacy strategies for supporting the economic, social, health and educational goals of all ages in the community.
- Providing learning opportunities for members and community
- Providing opportunities for all sectors of the community to participate in the conversation about literacy needs and strategies for supporting these.
Task Group Membership
The Saanich Peninsula Literacy Task Group includes community representatives who think about and initiate actions to support and promote life-long literacy. Because literacy is directly linked to the well-being and growth of individuals and communities, task group members recognize the importance of literacy as a community building tool and a strategy for supporting economic, social, health and educational goals. To support literacy effectively, the Task Group focuses on strategic thinking around gaps, assets and collaborative efforts that will bring about potential solutions.
If you would like to become a member of our Task Group, please contact the Literacy Outreach Coordinator. Our active and associate members include:
Access Speech Language Services – Marlene Lewis
Beacon Community Services – Megan Madsen
Confederation of University Women’s Club – Sonya Emperingham
Greater Victoria Public Library – Sarah Harrison
Individual Learning Centre (ILC) – Debbie Nikkel
Peninsula 1000 x 5 Children’s Book Recycling Project – Daphne Macnaughton
Peninsula Connections for Early Childhood (PCEC) – Marlene Dergousoff
Saanich School District (#63) – Carly Hunter & Lisa Kinshella
Sidney / North Saanich Library – Sharon Walker
Sidney Literary Festival – Janet Daines
Success By 6 – Lisa Fenton
Victoria Literacy Connection – Christine Bossi
Community – Kate Wood
Saanich Peninsula Literacy Outreach Coordinator
Shantael Sleight – firstname.lastname@example.org