Saanich Peninsula Literacy
The Saanich Peninsula Literacy Task Group is comprised of community representatives committed to strengthening life-long literacy.
Communities along the Saanich Peninsula will be engaged in building literacy skills and abilities essential for living a good life and supporting oneself, family and community.
What we do
We promote literacy and lifelong learning on the Saanich Peninsula by building awareness and by supporting community actions related to literacy.
We increase community awareness of the value that literacy life-long learning plays in individual and community life in the following ways.
- Online Presence – Integrated South Island Website, FB and Twitter pages
- Literacy Awareness Campaigns – Shaw TV South Island Literacy Series, news media articles on literacy & Open-Air library, promoting Family Literacy Day & Literacy is Life, Sock it to Literacy fundraiser.
- Open Air Library Signature Program – Reviewing previous learning’s and growing program through new partnerships including Panorama Recreation (physical literacy), Beacon C.S and volunteer support from SD#63, GVPL & Sidney North Saanich libraries Booksmack & Peninsula 1000 x 5.
We are strengthening and supporting literacy development for people and places along the Saanich Peninsula through strategic partnerships and collaborative efforts in the following ways.
- Literacy Providers Scan – Creating an assets chart to collect information about literacy programs and services on the Peninsula.
- Early Years & Family Literacy – Supporting Tsawout First Nations literacy programming through OAL, book donations & resource sharing events. Promoting and volunteer support at Books for Breakfast events. Providing financial support to the Peninsula 1000 x 5 Book Recycling Project. Membership at the PCEC table, Open Air Library.
- School Age Literacy – Supporting Victoria Literacy Connection with Noisy Kids Reading Program, providing financial support to Sidney Lit Fest authors in schools program, Tseycum book donations, Community literacy panel support.
Task Group Membership
The Saanich Peninsula Literacy Task Group includes community representatives who think about and initiate actions to support and promote life-long literacy. Because literacy is directly linked to the well-being and growth of individuals and communities, task group members recognize the importance of literacy as a community building tool and a strategy for supporting economic, social, health and educational goals. To support literacy effectively, the Task Group focuses on strategic thinking around gaps, assets and collaborative efforts that will bring about potential solutions.
If you would like to become a member of our Task Group, please contact the Literacy Outreach Coordinator. Our active and associate members include:
University of Victoria – Michael Lines
Beacon Community Services – Megan Madsen
Confederation of University Women’s Club – Sonya Emperingham
Greater Victoria Public Library – Sarah Harrison
Individual Learning Centre (ILC) – Debbie Nikkel
Peninsula 1000 x 5 Children’s Book Recycling Project – Daphne Macnaughton
Peninsula Connections for Early Childhood (PCEC) – Marlene Dergousoff
Saanich School District (#63) – Carly Hunter & Lisa Kinshella
Sidney / North Saanich Library – Sharon Walker
Sidney Literary Festival – Janet Daines
Victoria Literacy Connection – Christine Bossi
District of North Saanich – Councillor Patricia Pearson
District of Central Saanich – Councillor Gordon Newton
Saanich Peninsula Literacy Outreach Coordinator
Shantael Sleight – firstname.lastname@example.org