Sooke Region Community Literacy Outreach Coordinator
(Part-time, contract position)
Applications for this position will be accepted up to 4:00 p.m. Friday, April 27,2018
The Sooke Literacy Task Group is seeking a part time “Literacy Outreach Coordinator” to provide leadership in building, coordinating and enhancing literacy services, programs and networks within the East Sooke to Port Renfrew area. The Literacy Outreach Coordinator will report to and work with the Sooke Literacy Task Group, the EMCS Coordinator, and community partners. The aim is to help build the community’s capacity to deliver and sustain local literacy programs and services. The coordinator will consult with the community in order to facilitate the implementation of the goals and strategies of the Sooke Community Literacy Plan and the funding contract deliverables.
The preferred candidate will have:
- demonstrated knowledge and experience in community based literacy programs
- relevant post-secondary degree or an equivalent combination of training and experience
- experience in community development
- proven ability to organize events, manage projects & budgets, develop partnerships
- strong consultation, communication and presentation skills
- demonstrated time-management and priority-setting skills
- demonstrated ability to take initiative and work independently
- ability to work collaboratively with diverse views and within cross-cultural contexts
- computer software competence-including website maintenance, social media, online communication and research
- valid BC driver’s license and willingness to travel with own vehicle as necessary
- local knowledge of the demographics and the literacy needs of our region
- criminal record check
Compensation: This is a part time, 12-month contract position.
The successful candidate will be expected to average 10-12 hours per week at
$25.00 per hour. The position may require working some evenings and weekends,
as well as traveling throughout the area (mileage compensation available).
Resume and cover letter should be submitted with three professional references, including immediate or last supervisor names and contact information by mail or email to:
Community School Coordinator
Edward Milne Community School Society
6218 Sooke Road,
*The EMCS Society wishes to thank you for your interest and advises that only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.